by Tiffany Ludwig
The goal of this recipe is to make the most New York Passover cookies that could be made! So of course I started with some sweet Macaroons. Nearly perfect cookies! They're super simple to whip up, very delicious, light and flavorful. And just what could make them even better - transforming them into Black & White Macaroons.
What you'll appreciate about these treats is the freshness of the cookie. They are light and airy yet moist and filling. The chocolates on top really compliment the coconut and bring it all together for what might just be a new family favorite.
A couple of notes: if you are keeping kosher for Passover be sure to chose your ingredients wisely. Everything in this ingredients list can be found kosher for Passover. However these cookies are amazing year round, and I highly recommend you make them often!
Black & White Macaroons Recipe
by Tiffany Ludwig
Makes 18 cookies
3 egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Mix the egg whites in a stand mixer or with a hand beater until they are foamy.
2. Stir in the vanilla extract and salt by hand. Then all at once add the sugar and coconut. Mix together well with a large spoon or better yet with your hands. Mix for a couple of minutes to be sure everything is incorporated.
3. Use a 2 Tablespoon cookie scoop to create uniform cookies. I've found the best way to do this is to firmly press the cookies into the scoop then release them onto the parchment lined cookie sheet. You can also simply roll 2 Tablespoons of the batter between your hands to make a ball. These cookies are so forgiving, if you need to press them to hold the batter together that's perfectly OK!
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes, until they are just a touch golden.
5. Allow to fully cool before coating in chocolate.
6. Heat the white chocolate chips in a microwave safe glass dish for 30 seconds. Stir well. Microwave for an additional 15 seconds or until all chips melt when stirred. Using a small rubber spatula or spoon carefully cover half of each cookie with white chocolate. Allow to fully cool and dry before doing the same with the chocolate on the other half of each cookie.
Best eaten within 2 days.
Note about the shredded coconut: If you can only find sweetened, shredded coconut then reduce the sugar to just 1/4 cup.