Harold Horowytz made a mean sandwich. An amazing sandwich. The kind customers would send us emails about, would rave to their friends about, the kind you could easily share for lunch.
Harold’s recipe for Zabar's Hot Pastrami Sandwich - At Home! appears in our spring catalog, along with a dedication to Harold. Thank you for all the years and wonderful memories, Harold!
Harold's recipe for
Zabar's Hot Pastrami Sandwich - At Home!
by Harold Horowytz
Zabar’s sliced pastrami
Zabar’s sourdough rye bread
Zabar's deli mustard
Sliced Swiss cheese
Pickle on the side
1. Warm your Zabar’s sliced pastrami in a double boiler. Heat until just warm. Do not heat in an oven or microwave. Do not over-cook.
2. Cut two ½" slices of Zabar’s rye bread.
3. Spread a generous amount of Zabar’s mustard on one or both slices. (Alternatively, spread one with mustard and the other with Russian dressing.)
4. Pile on the warmed pastrami!
5. Add a few slices of Swiss cheese (optional).
6. Top with second slice of bread and DEVOUR!
Want to change it up? Zabar’s corned beef can be substituted for pastrami.
No double-boiler? No problem! Put 1" of water in a pot, and stack a smaller pot on top. Add pastrami to the top pot, heat water and voila!